Mainstream File Storage Services
Setting up a file storage with a mainstream service generally involves the following steps:
- Signup for a paid service
- Commit to an expensive long-term service plan.
- Use one large file storage for all activities.
The problem with this is that you end up paying a huge amount for one large file storage area that you may not use efficiently.
You cannot create small file storage containers on-demand and delete it when you don't need it anymore.
Additionally, you may not get the option to share small groups of files & folders, with different users in a secure manner, with different access levels.
Davros and SandstormDavros is a file storage/publishing app that lets you achieve the following very easily without any tech-knowledge:
- Setup personal file storage containers (grains) on-demand to use as shared directories for personal file backup, file transfers across PCs, hosting documents for download, etc.
- Enjoy enterprise-grade security built-in to Sandstorm for private and controlled shared access.
- Convert your file storage into file/static web hosting on-demand to use for setting up a static website or offering a private/public file download service.
- Share each file storage grain with multiple guest users with different levels of access: download only (view) or upload/delete (edit).
- Backup and transfer each grain with files and folder structure to any Sandstorm server. Movement of your data is always in your control.
- Trash the file storage grains when not needed.
Signup for a Sandstorm user account
Use Davros and 70 more apps for unlimited personal or group use.
Davros is a web app available in Sandstorm that takes care of these requirements quite well! Davros is a project by Michael Nutt https://github.com/mnutt that lets you store all of your files in the cloud, move them between your devices, and share files with others. Davros is built to run inside Sandstorm.
Sandstorm is an open-source project aiming to fundamentally change the way we use web apps for personal or group use, led by ex-Google-engineer Kenton Varda. Meet the team at https://github.com/orgs/sandstorm-io/people and support the project at https://sandstorm.io
iWebz Cloud hosting offers cloud-hosted Sandstorm user accounts for users without the means to setup a self-hosted Sandstorm server.