Mainstream Web Hosting Services
Setting up a web hosting with a mainstream service generally involves the following steps:
- Signup for a paid web hosting service.
- Commit to an expensive long-term service plan.
- Use one multi-featured web hosting service for setting up all websites.
The problem with this is that you end up paying a huge amount for one multi-featured web hosting service account that you may not use efficiently.
You also end up paying for a service that you can only use for ONE purpose: website hosting.
Additionally, you do not get the option to work together on website files, with different users in a secure manner, with different access levels.
Basic Web Hosting with Davros and Sandstorm
Sandstorm lets you do much more than just web hosting. Davros is just one file storage/publishing app on Sandstorm that lets you host files and simple static HTML websites very easily without any tech-knowledge:
- Setup file storage containers (grains) on-demand to use for sharing/hosting web pages and documents.
- Drag and drop web pages and other files or entire folders for immediate upload.
- Enjoy enterprise-grade security built-in to Sandstorm for private and controlled shared access.
- Convert your file storage into file/static web hosting on-demand to use for setting up a static website or offering a private/public file download service.
- Backup and transfer each grain with files and folder structure to any Sandstorm server. Movement of your data is always in your control.
- Trash the web hosting grains when not needed.
Web Hosting with Davros is covered between 6:25 to 8:15 in the below video.
Using A Custom Domain Name
You can also use an existing domain name to use a custom sub-domain with each of your Davros grains. For this you will need access to the domain name's DNS settings.
You can enter the sub-domain on the Publish screen and you will be shown the DNS entries you need to add. For example, entering docs.iwebz.net shows the following two settings that need to be made in the DNS settings for iwebz.net
Signup for a Sandstorm user account
Use Davros and 70 more apps for unlimited personal or group use.
Davros is a web app available in Sandstorm that takes care of these requirements quite well! Davros is a project by Michael Nutt https://github.com/mnutt that lets you store all of your files in the cloud, move them between your devices, and share files with others. Davros is built to run inside Sandstorm.
Sandstorm is an open-source project aiming to fundamentally change the way we use web apps for personal or group use, led by ex-Google-engineer Kenton Varda. Meet the team at https://github.com/orgs/sandstorm-io/people and support the project at https://sandstorm.io
iWebz Cloud hosting offers cloud-hosted Sandstorm user accounts for users without the means to setup a self-hosted Sandstorm server.